Monday, October 9, 2006

Dare to be wrong, Dare to be heard, by Chelle Stockman

Have any of you ever lost an argument?  For those of you who have, how did it make you feel?  I imagine it made you feel as though you were not prepared enough with facts.  I imagine some of you felt you did not belong in the arena of debate.

As for me, I was never good with argument;therefore, I avoided it.  However, for the past 5 years, I've been called on for my opinions and also for facts to support them.  Without realizing it, I was being called to debate.  I am now told that I'm good at argument.  I'm not though.  You see, I don't believe the person who wins the argument is right.  They are only more informed in the subjects they argue or just master debators. My proofs are the many innocent people who are incarcerated and serving time in prisons around our country.  Other proofs are those who are guilty but walk freely because the prosecution made a less than convincing case.  In such cases, the truth failed to be represented. 

Much of what we argue in the name of politics has nothing to do with being right, or even the truth; but it has everything to do with 1) who presents the best case for the listening audience and 2) the expectations of the listening audience. 

Henry Fountain Ashurst in his formula for political success concluded his small disortation with this final comment: "And, finally, the politician must always tell people what they want to hear."

Because of our attitudes regarding what it takes to be heard, many voices go unheard.  People, especially the meek, withhold their voice.  This is a shame because they have the right to speak, the right to be wrong and the right to be heard.  For all of you who fear being wrong, or losing an argument, please begin using your voice now.  There will be those who will find some reason to disagree with you, so you may as well give them a reason.  Words can be transforming and you never know who will be transformed.  It could even be you.  The screamers will soon lose their voices because people are tuning them out.  So it is up to the simple minded and quietly eloquent to keep those who represent us abreast of contemporary concerns. 

We aren't just a race alienated by the color of our skin; or, a religious representative opposing others who don't think as we do; we are human with human and yes, less than perfect thoughts.  Our respresentatives must consider the differing hopes, fears, and concerns of us all.

I look forward to hearing your voice and reading your dissent. 

Chelle Stockman

No comments: