Sunday, November 23, 2003

Human versus Humane behavior

Chat rooms have always been a great source for observing human behavior.  Why?  They come and they go for every kind of reason.  But when they stay, you watch.  You may even interact.  What happens when you finally do?  I'd like to share a story with all of you about some of my adventures in one chat room I go to which is titled Playfuls 40s and 50s.

I'll start with someone most of us know as Emma.  Ahhh, poor pitiful Emma.  She is a victim of her own doing but because she lacks good sense, she thinks everyone else is out to victimize her, even her good friends  Georgette, Judy and some one she likes to pretend is her friend, Vicky.  In one of Emma's attempts to lash out at me, she invented a name titled  Midnight Vision.  God I love that name.  Apparently, I never saw it, even though I was there.  I was in the habit of ignoring the half wits.  This was an attempt to piss me off, but hey, what's to get pissed off about that?  Damn, that's a cool name.  I wish I'd have thought of it.  Her attempts are futile.  Her words however are quite damaging.  The things she told me over a course of time, pertaining to Sue, Sue and Sue, Rosie, Deja, Boo Boo, Lis, Carole, Diane, Janice, Jaielle, Cindy, and the list goes on and on  and on; these women all had faults that used to be part of Emma's many obsessions.  Then there were the men.  Oh my gosh, pity any man who says to Emma just once, that her stocky build is sexy.  They end up bewildered having not given her enough stars or hugs or for saying hi to the likes of me and of her ex best friend.

I spoke to Emma intimately never really allowing her to know anything that would come back on me.  I listened to her for over 2 years mostly at my expense( nothing under 10 cell calls a day).  She never asked me to do that.  I love to talk.  I love to hear what makes folks tick.  I spent two years trying to keep her centered and calm which it never worked. 

No comments: