Sunday, December 19, 2004

If I could choose my family...

You know, the world of politics is interesting enough, the world of law too, but the little understood world of economics is the most interesting of all to me.  One of the most brilliant men living today in the world of economics is George Soros.  He knows the ins and outs of a sound portfolio but he also knows the consequences regarding human rights. 

I lost my parents at the age of 17 and up till then, we had discussions on the above topics around our dinner tables and also while we took drives to and from places.  I've gone all these years feeling somewhat stunted, stuck back in my teen years when it comes to the understanding of these issues.  It's really difficult to find people who will help grow me. At the age of 46 I find George Soros and Gore Vidal to be the best informed people of our century.  Pablo Neruda died or he would have been included on that list of giants.  If I could ask anything, I'd ask that George Soros would be my adopted father so he could teach me the ins and outs of ethical and unethical investing--investing with a conscience.  I'd ask for Gore Vidal to be my grandpapa so that I'd become much better at watching the actions of corporations and politicians in this world today.  I'd love it if Pablo had been my uncle.

Where are the great minds of today--the untainted minds that will take up the cause of these gentle giants after they have departed?  How I wish I were one of those great minds.  How I wish...

Here is a picture of the man I'd choose to be my mentor, my grandfather, if it were possible to pick and choose my family's replacements at the dinner table.  I love you Grandpapa Vidal.

I nearly forgot!  In the writer's chat the other night, folks were discussing classics they were forced to read in school.  Not one mentioned John Steinbeck.  We all had to read Grapes of Wrath, a most brilliant and timeless piece.  Here is one of my favorite quotes from that body of work. "Now farming became industry, and the owners followed Rome, although they did not know it.  They imported slaves, although they did not call them slaves: Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, Filipinos.  They live on rice and beans, the businessmen said. They don't need much.  They wouldn't know what to do with good wages.  Why, look how they live.  Why, look what they eat.  And if they get funny--deport them."

Enjoy your coming week, folks.   Love and peace to you.  This week's bumpersticker is No you can't have my rights.  I'm still using them.

No comments: