Thursday, April 20, 2006

Out of the Mouth of Babes by Chelle Stockman & Daniel Stockman

My eldest son, who just turned 18 in March, will be going off to bootcamp in July just two weeks after his highschool graduation. My well meaning friends and cohorts who are against the war have pelted me with comments about my mothering capabilities.  My reply has always been unwavering in support for my son's dreams and goals.  Since he was 11-yrs-old, he has known exactly what he was going to do in his life, what he was going to give up that we can all have a better life; he would join the Army.  People over the years tried to persuade him to join the Airforce or Navy and even then he had his reasons.  It would be the Marines or the Army for him and he was already set for the Army in his heart.  So for the past several years, I've visited with recruiters to ease my heart more than to help my son succeed.  I fired questions at them of my own and researched their responses whenever I felt neccessary, but nothing and I do mean nothing can take the place of my son's own words which appeared in today's Vallejo Times Herald on Page A13--the Opinion Page.  Here are his words.

April 20, 2006
Vallejo Times Herald This is my reason

I write this not to impress, not to make my name known, and not to gain recognition. I write this out of obligation. Some people look at me and see things I don't - "Oh, he could do so much more with his life, why is he going off to sign up in this man's Army?" Then someone else might claim I'm a brainwashed teen with a death wish and very little hope.

Now I know there are a lot of things I probably won't like about the military and a lot of things I have to learn about life. However, I know for a fact I don't have a death wish, nor am I brainwashed.

A lot of people say that those joining the military are desperate and just want the benefits; or that without the military, they would be out on the streets. In some cases, this may be correct, but it doesn't apply to everybody. I didn't sign up for the benefits. I didn't even necessarily sign up to serve this nation and its woefully ungrateful populace.

I signed up for those who won't, and those who never did return in past and present wars alike. Obligation. If I can somehow help even a single life, then it will have been worth it. If I lose my life or come home disabled while serving, the former won't matter, and I'll have to deal with the latter. Many are saying to me - directly and indirectly - that I shouldn't have chose this route, that I should have just gone to college. They obviously don't realize that I still plan to.

All I know is that where there is conflict, there is a difference that can be made. Will I be able to make a difference? I don't know - those outside the military don't know what it's like and my recruiters are just doing their job as good as any college representative would.

I simply don't know if I will find what I seek while serving, but I'll do whatever it takes to help those whoneed it. I'm sorry if you think I made a horrible choice, but if it weren't for people making these "horrible" choices, this nation would cease to exist.

A nation will always have an Army - either their own, or somebody else's.

Daniel E. Stockman, Vallejo

* * * *

  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the son should be teaching a few things to his parents as well as friends of his parents.  He understand why our country is great.  It is because there are people, no matter what age, that are willing to sacrifice for the good of the whole.

Instead of criticizing as so many armchair talking heads do about our country, he is choosing to go and protect the rights of people or, as in the case of Iraq, fight for a people to gain the right to have the freedom to speak out.

His parents' friends have forgotten that their ability to speak out against the U.S. and it's policies is directly due to the sacrifices that our soldiers made.  I would also go so far as to say that they are quietly dismissing the rage that they might have felt for 9/11 because it dimishes their ability to criticize our President and our country's policies that they don't happen to agree with.

I digress, kudos and my most heartfelt thanks and appreciation go to a young man that deserves more thanks from people who understand why there is conflict and why we must fight to win.  Congratulations Daniel on your courage and willingness to serve in the noblest way possible.  I applaud you for your temerity in the face of your parents so called freinds who choose to castigate good works and do nothing but loathe the cost that must be made for the freedoms mankind enjoys.

My prayers and thoughts will go with you.  My family and I pray each night for our military.  I am sure your parents' friends do not feel so inclined but I feel that in some way, every little bit helps.  I even pray for them.  Good LucK Brave Daniel, and my the blessings of God protect you and your strong spirit.

Anonmyous Well Wisher

Anonymous said...

adios por siempre y siempre, buenas suerte, senorita

Anonymous said...

I read a lot of opinions, comments, editorials, etc., and this young man said more in one brief letter than all of the combined writings of the self appointed geniuses that comprise our media have ever said.
Daniel has so profoundly impressed me by not letting the constant criticism and second guessing by so called friends deter him from his choice. It seems that so many people in today's society want to criticize everyone who does not subscribe to their beliefs and this young man, and he isn't a kid, he is every bit a man, is so far beyond their pettiness that it is hard to comprehend at such a young age. This constant negativisim and lack of appreciation for what we have in this country galls me to no end. It's a shame that those who love to criticize so much can't get a dose of reality by spending a few months in a third world country.
This young man knows what he wants to do and is determined to do it, for his reasons, not someone elses. How refreshing and I applaud him for it.

Ellis Mills