Saturday, June 24, 2006

Values of the Neo-Cops: Feeding the Bottom Line by Chelle Stockman

Subj: Opinion: The changing values of our police today 
Date: 6/24/2006 11:23:48 PM Pacific Standard Time
From: GoddessOf7Worlds
To: opinion@timesheraldonline.com


Good policing brings honor to a city, its people, the police force; and last but certainly not least, its individual police officers.  Ethical policing unites a community instead of divides it; and creates respect instead of creating fear, doubt and distrust.

I've seen torn cities turn into wholesome communities because dedicated officers compassionately served the people they pledged to protect.  They were fence builders, involving potentially renegade youth in activities that served the community they lived in which built confidence and respect for others.  Some of the officers so believed in the communities they served they died because of it. Yes, I'm sure most cities across our country mourn the loss of dedicated individuals whose main purpose was to protect and serve.

I come from a long line of police, clergy, military and union folks; a line which extends from Ireland and Italy, Canada and Argentina, and the United States.
Growing up, family reunions were the spiciest events in my life.  The Irish and Italians didn't always seem to mix well in close quarters but I found that to be interesting as well as exciting.  There was one basic component to our reunions that applied throughout each day until the last visitor departed.  The men gathered together in one area while the women took over the rest of the space, except during meal times of course. I'd always work my way into the men's room where great discussions occurred.  I remember one discussion in particular between an uncle, Constable Patrick Gleeson of Munster and another great-uncle, Leo Vitali who was a policeman in the Calabria region.  Uncle Patrick spoke of losing some friends and coworkers in political attacks while Uncle Leo spoke of cutthroat illegal immigrants and their crimes.  I got scared and spoke my fear.  Uncle Patrick told me to pray for the protection of those who serve us.  I remember the men grew silent and nodded. Though I was only eleven at the time, I understood.

To this day, without wavering, I pray for the protection of those who serve us-the physical protection.  Yet, something has changed drastically in the way policing is done, at least in our city of Vallejo.  I've noticed it changing in the past five years.  The youth have never been more alienated from the community as they are now, while the sick and elderly are being victimized by police assistants in the parking area of Kaiser, having their handicapped placards taken away and then cited.  The process to clear themselves involves paying the fine and registering a complaint to Irvine.  You see, our accounting is outsourced to a Southern California city. 

While I feel deep within my heart that our police are missing some community building opportunities, I'm pretty upset about the parking patrol at Kaiser and highly suspicious of the force behind this.  It is as though our police department is being run like a greedy corporation, full of bean-counters living off the "bottom line" feeding off the youth, the sick and elderly.  Whether its a competition of who writes the most citations, or some hoorah about new discoveries off of "My Space," it is counterproductive to building healthy relationships with citizens and the community they once ethically protected and served.

I'm still going to pray for the protection of those who serve; but as for those who put glory and profit over those they were hired to serve, they'll have to pray for themselves.

With Intention,

Chelle Stockman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goddess..how beautifully  expressed..your passion is felt thru your words..I hope it is a wakeup call..there is more to policing than taking away a disabled placard!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, TiggerLynne.  I know that if it happens to those of us in Vallejo,  it can happen everywhere in our country. The erosion of ethics and humane practices is accelerating.    <sigh>