Monday, September 20, 2004

Simple yet incredible, the voice of women

Note: I've interviewed over 80 women in the past two weeks for this story but every time I tried writing it, it was boring.  The subject matter deserves much better.  I owe the ladies and gentlemen of the Authors Lounge credit because they were able to state the same conclusions as the others I interviewed, but in a more succinct fashion.  Thank you fellow authors.

Women Speak Out

By Chelle Stockman

With millions and millions of dollars going abroad to support our war policies, millions of women, elderly people and children are suffering homeland economic woes.  Last weekend, I had the unusual opportunity to meet with a group of women ranging in ages of 38 to 78.  We met at a local coffee shop for the purposes of discussing how the current trends are affecting us on a personal level.

 

The first topic we discussed was our thoughts about the war.  The question was: What do you think about this war we waged to free the Iraqi people?

 

Linda, the youngest of the women who is also disabled and caring for her two young daughters by herself had this to say. “We have spent all this money on war and what little assistance I get is a voucher for a discount on prescriptions.  The out of pocket expense to me is nearly 400 dollars a month.  I’m told that this voucher system is temporary and will soon run out.  My girls are healthy, thank God.  What I want to know is where is all the money coming from to fight this war and why is it that we have to suffer here for it?” That is a good question, Linda.

 

After addressing that for awhile, a woman who is a member of the Gray Panthers, an organization of Senior Citizen activists, offered her take on the war.  “I’ve been through WWII, the Korean Conflict, and every battle since then and never have I seen our rights eroding so quickly.  It would seem the powers that be are counting on women being emotional creatures as they build their case for this war on the premise of fear. The trouble is... it seems to be working and what that means to me is that when it’s my turn to go to a rest home, the government will take my life assets to foot the bill.  My husband was a veteran of 3 wars and when I die, everything we built together will revert back into the hands of the state.  We had no children and there are no living members of my family to help me set things straight.  Hell, I can’t even afford legal advice. I wish I could have something to leave behind for the organizations I volunteer for.”  The lack of professional advice available to seniors just isn’t there unless they have the money to pay for it.  Most do not and therefore depend on others to help them.  What if there is no one willing to help?

 

Glenda commented, “I’d rather use tax dollars on education than waste what we have left on defense and if we really were concerned about Homeland Security, more would be spent on it and less would be spent overseas.  Its all some kind of diversion, perhaps to stop us from rising against the economic strains we are all facing.”

 

“I don’t believe the government can keep us safe...not without turning usinto a police state.  Look, they did that in my parents’ homeland of Israel.  Those people gave up their rights to protect themselves and live a war every day of their lives.  I don’t want that to happen here.”  Windy is a first generation Jewish American.

As the conversation matured, we discussed the Forward Movement Policies, the privatization issues regarding medical care and insurance, homeland security measures and just about everything that had been in the news the past month.  These women from different walks of life and political party affiliations had much to agree on.  They don’t want to give up any civil rights and feel homeland security is a police matter as well as a civilian awareness matter.  They want medical care available to all citizens of the United States and agreed that our tax dollars are best spent in that area, in education and in retirement compensation.  Not one believed this war would benefit the United States and didn’t care who did benefit from it because as they put it, “We are losing our benefits.”

 

It all came down to being able to afford to live in this country.  Money and Civil Rights for all were the theme.

I’ll leave you with a beautiful sentiment from our beloved Benjamin Franklin. “If we attempt to trade liberty for security, we’ll have and deserve neither.”

(thank you Art for bringing to mind that timeless quote from a brilliant man)

No comments: